Residential Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors

fire-safety-protection-equip

Fire Safety Equipment

Imagine being caught at home in the midst of a house fire. Your mind starts rushing through what to do next. Fire is fast-moving, leaving little to no time to think about collecting valuables and belongings. The impact of these incidences can be devastating.

While we know that flames and heat from a fire are dangerous, fires are also a deadly mixture of fumes and toxic gases. Carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas, is a by-product of a fire that can cause asphyxiation, which is being deprived of oxygen.

Fire safety begins at home. Most people know the basics, such as not leaving burning candles or space heaters unattended. You should also have one or more fire extinguishers in your home, located for easy access. For home use, an extinguisher rated “A-B-C” is recommended.

Contact us today to have one of our qualified professionals come out and assess your home’s safety features.

Smoke Detectors

Smoke detectors (also known as smoke alarm) sense smoke, typically that of a fire, but can also detect something burning on the stove or in the oven. Generally a loud piercing signal is set off.

 Smoke detectors can be battery operated or wired in. Smoke detectors that run on batteries must have the batteries changed once every year. All smoke detectors need to be tested regularly. The advantage of having wired in smoke detectors, is all the smoke detectors will go off to alert everyone in the house no matter where they are.

battery-in-smoke-detector

Battery operated smoke detector

wired-smoke-detector

Wired in smoke detector

It is important to make sure smoke detectors are installed in the right places in your home and are in proper working order. At CBS Electric, we can help you check your existing detectors and give you options as to what type of smoke detectors are right for your home. Contact us today to book an appointment.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Carbon Monoxide is one of the leading causes of deaths. It is referred to as “The Silent Killer” because it is simply too subtle for us to detect. It is a gas produced when equipment such as a furnace is not properly ventilated.

Fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces and wood stoves should have regular maintenance, and ventilation should be checked, ensuring there are no blockages.

carbon-monoxide-detector

Carbon Monoxide Detector

carbon-monoxide-alarm

Carbon Monoxide Alarm

smoke-carbon-monoxide-detector

Smoke and CO Combination Detector

Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless. It makes you feel drowsy, you then fall asleep, and slowly it kills you. Thousands of people die from carbon-monoxide poisoning each year. If you have a detector in your home and carbon monoxide starts to build up, you’ll hear an alarm sounding the minute the gas levels become dangerous. If this happens, evacuate your home and call 911 or your fire department.

Safety officials also suggest not idling vehicles in the garage, especially with the door closed, and to wear proper respiratory equipment if working in confined spaces where CO could be dangerous.

To find out more about smoke and CO detectors, and installation services,
call 778-433-1455 or